Become a yoga therapist
How can I become a yoga therapist?
To become a yoga therapist you need to do some serious training. So before you enroll in any courses, you will need some guidance. Even some well-known courses in Europe will not qualify you to become an accredited yoga therapist.
“Which Yoga Therapy courses should I do to become a yoga therapist?”
To qualify as a yoga therapist in Europe, you will need to complete at least a 500-hour Diploma Course. These 500 hours should include the following:
- Residential learning (in classroom)
- Practice with real clients
- Study of Yoga Therapy manuals
- Homework and project work
- An assessment or examination
The Yoga Therapy Institute course options:
- First, we recommend all students to enroll in The Yoga Therapy Foundation Course,- 100 hours. This course will offer you:
- In-depth overview of how to work as a yoga therapist
- The principles of Yoga Therapy
- Red flags and warnings of serious health issues
- Scope of competence
- Professional Clinical Assessment
- Intake protocols
- Client communication skills
- The Business of Yoga Therapy
- Knowledge of all Yoga Therapy schools and lineages
2. Register for any of our independent Yoga Therapy courses, depending on your professional and educational needs.
How long does it take to qualify a yoga therapist?
In total, the Yoga Therapy 500- hour Diploma Course will take 17 months to complete (One and a half years).
International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) Certification
To obtain your IAYT certification, you need to do at least 800 hours of recognized Yoga Therapy training.
This certification ads prestige to your professional status, but for the moment it is not necessary to practice as a yoga therapist in Europe.
The IAYT is expanding their standards outside of the US, “establishing research and education in yoga and serving as a professional organization for yoga teachers and yoga therapists worldwide” Their mission is to establish yoga as a recognized and respected therapy. The Yoga Therapy Institute’s 800 hour diploma is the only program in Europe accredited by the IAYT.
Our Yoga therapy Diploma 500 hrs is an intensive Yoga Therapy training which serves as a bridge to the 800 hours necessary for the IAYT certification.
What kind of work can I expect to do as a yoga therapist?
You can set up your own private Yoga Therapy Clinic almost anywhere in the world. This will allow you to take on clients for individual sessions and in small groups.
At the Yoga Therapy Institute, we will train you to have the knowledge and skills you need to set up your own clinic.
Also, the IAYT claims that, since 2014, their accredited yoga therapists have been working in the following areas:
- Healthcare centers
- Wellness centers
- Yoga Studios
- Physiotherapy centers
- Private practice
- Corporate facilities
- Community centers
- Military facilities
At the Yoga Therapy Institute, we have life-coaches, sports professionals and medical personnel joining our courses.
Therefore, you can apply the skills acquired as a yoga therapist to many and varied fields of yoga teaching, healthcare, education, coaching, and psychological therapy.