Become a yoga therapist
How can I become a yoga therapist?
To become an accredited yoga therapist you need to do some serious training. So before you enrol in any courses, you will need some guidance. Even some well-known courses in Europe will not qualify you to become an accredited yoga therapist.
“Which Yoga Therapy courses should I do to become a yoga therapist?”
To qualify as a yoga therapist, you will need to complete an 800 hours Diploma Course. These 800 hours are divided in the following structure:
- 500 hours residential learning
- 200 hours practice
- 100 distance learning
Accreditation is important, therefore it is best to enrol in courses that follow the standards of The International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT).
The Yoga Therapy Institute is the first in Europe to follow the standards of the IAYT. We are preparing our application for IAYT accreditation in August 2017.
The Yoga Therapy Institute course options:
- First, we recommend all students to enrol at our Yoga Therapy Foundation Course,- 100 hours. This course will offer you:
- In-depth overview of how to work as a yoga therapist
- The basic principles of Yoga Therapy.
- Knowledge of all Yoga Therapy schools and lineages
2. Register for any of our independent Yoga Therapy courses ,depending on your professional and educational needs.
3. Apply for the whole Yoga Therapy 800 hour Diploma by sending us our registration form . We will get back to you as soon as possible to arrange an interview.
Enrolment for the Yoga Therapy 800-hour Diploma requires an acceptance process.
How long does it take to qualify a yoga therapist?
In total, the Yoga Therapy 800- hour Diploma course will take a minimum of 30 months to complete. The total course is divided in 14 independent modules.
To qualify, you also have to complete the following:
- First Aid course
- Anatomy, physiology and pathology open-book examination
- A written project as discussed and agreed with your course mentor
- A practical assessment of application of skills in 4 real life case studies.
Once you have received your Diploma as a yoga therapist, a process of application to the IAYT for the final accreditation can take a few weeks.
What kind of work can I expect to do as a yoga therapist?
You can set up your own private Yoga Therapy Clinic almost anywhere in the world. This will allow you to take on clients for individual sessions and in small groups.
At the Yoga Therapy Institute we will train you to have the knowledge and skills you need to set up your own clinic.
Also, the IAYT claims that, since 2014, their accredited yoga therapists have been working in the following areas:
- Health care centers
- Wellness centers
- Yoga Studios
- Physiotherapy centers
- Private practice
- Corporate facilities
- Community centers
- Military facilities
At the Yoga Therapy Institute we have life-coaches, sports professionals and medical personnel applying for our courses.
Therefore, you can apply the skills acquired as a yoga therapist to many and varied fields of yoga teaching, healthcare, education, coaching, and psychological therapy.