Trauma-Informed Yoga Therapy
35 Hours | 5 Days
This practical online module will teach you how to create a safe and supportive space for trauma survivors to practise yoga. You’ll learn the principles of trauma-informed yoga and how to adapt yoga poses and sequences to meet the needs of trauma survivors. This module offers a fresh perspective on trauma-informed yoga with clinical examples to illustrate the principles. Yoga teachers who want to learn how to offer trauma-informed yoga to their students will not want to miss this module.
This module is an essential prerequisite for those who aspire to pursue further training and obtain TCTSY certification.
“I have the privilege of being able to help people from all walks of life, through difficult times in their lives. I support adults as they struggle to deal with issues such as stress management, confidence and self-esteem, relationship, grief and loss, addiction, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Developmental and Complex Trauma.” – Esther van der Sande
What to expect
- An intensive 5-day module, from Monday to Friday.
- Receive expert guidance from an experienced faculty.
- Participate in engaging online classes that are dynamic and interactive.
- Gain hands-on experience in breakout rooms.
- Have in-depth discussions and dedicated question time.
- Receive personalised teaching and feedback.
- Gain insights from real-world client experiences and case studies.
- Build professional connections with a vibrant and diverse international community.
- Safe, live presentations with accessibility features.
- Unlimited access to our educational platform.
- Replay the session recordings as many times as you like.
- Complete a fun and actionable module assignment.
- Understand and apply the Trauma Center Trauma Sensitive Yoga (TCTSY) approach in Yoga Therapy practice.
- Integrate trauma-informed principles by demonstrating qualities of a trauma-informed facilitator, establishing therapeutic goals, and practising self-care and safety precautions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of individual and group dynamics, accessibility, intersectionality, culture, gender, and socio-economic factors on Yoga Therapy sessions.
- Apply Therapeutic Alliance principles and guiding clients through invitational language, motoric actions, choice, and interoception-based practices.
- Discern contraindicated breathing and meditative practices in trauma-informed practice.
- Understand the relationship between developmental and complex trauma, the neurophysiology of stress and trauma, and common mental health conditions.
- Recognise dynamics of power and oppression and understand interoception, choice, agency, and relational safety concepts.
- Apply safety and stabilisation principles and integrate client history into a Yoga Therapy session.
- Integrate interpersonal neurobiology concepts into Yoga Therapy.
- Understand responsible and ethical professional practice and differentiate between Trauma Informed vs Trauma Sensitive (Trauma Trained) approaches.
- Monday 19th – Friday 23rd February 2024
9.30 hrs – 17.00 hrs (CET)
- Monday 10th – Friday 14th June 2024
9.30 hrs – 17.00 hrs (CET)
*Module hours are approximate and subject to small adjustments depending on the flow and pace of each class.
Who is this course for?
- Yoga Therapy trainees
- Yoga teachers who want to learn more about Yoga Therapy
- Healthcare professionals such as medical doctors, physiotherapists, coaches and other therapeutic professionals who are seeking a multidisciplinary approach
Excl. VAT €650*
Incl. 21% VAT €786,50*
*European companies registered outside the Netherlands are exempt from VAT charges. Please contact us to find out more.
Frequently Asked Questions
To join this module, you must meet the following requirements:
- Fluent in English
- Minimum 18 years old
To join the module, simply complete our Contact Form and we will contact you to arrange your place in the module.
We offer a variety of discounts and promotions on our Yoga Therapy training courses throughout the year. To see the current discounts and promotions, please visit our promotions page.
The price of the module includes access to all live module lectures, unlimited access to the educational platform, including written materials, presentations, and assignments. You’ll also have the ability to contact the team and faculty by email for support.
The price of the module doesn’t include books from the reading list, yoga mats or props, or any other materials or equipment that may be required for the module.
Yes, this module is approved for 20 Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Credits (CECs), 18.5 CECs with the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT), and 14 hours for Vereniging Yoga Nederland.
Upon completion, you’ll receive a digital certification that you can submit to any of these organisations.
This module is not intended as an intervention for participants who have experienced trauma. It is a professional development module that is intended for teaching purposes and not treatment. If you are looking for an intervention for trauma, please consult a qualified therapist.
This module is solely for professional development and does not qualify non-clinical yoga teachers to offer trauma services. The term TCTSY (Trauma-Sensitive Yoga) shouldn’t be used in marketing yoga classes, and the term “trauma” should only be used in the context of professional development.
Our teacher, Esther van der Sande, is highly experienced and skilled at presenting sensitive topics in a way that is safe and non-triggering. However, if you do experience any triggers during the module, it’s important to be gentle with yourself. You may feel a range of emotions, and that’s okay. If you need to, you can take a break from the module or leave the Zoom session. You can also let Esther know that you’re feeling triggered, and she will be able to provide you with support.
Still have questions? Reach out to us. We’re always happy to help!