Applied Somatic Counselling Skills for Yoga Therapists
35 Hours | 5 Days
Enhance your Yoga Therapy skills with Applied Somatic Counselling!
In this online module, you’ll learn counselling techniques specifically designed for Yoga Therapy, including the bottom-up approach, invitational language, and the importance of building a safe therapeutic relationship. You’ll also learn how to use these techniques to help your clients recover from both physiological and psychological wounds.
Esther van der Sande, a psychotherapist, consultant, trainer and founder of Trauma-Sensitive Yoga Nederland and Beside Consulting, will help you to develop your own awareness of internal sensations and how to master skills, such as self-regulation, to facilitate healing.
“Counselling is a process of discovery, not fixing.” – Brené Brown
What to expect
- An intensive 5-day module, from Monday to Friday.
- Receive expert guidance from an experienced faculty.
- Participate in engaging live presentations that are dynamic and interactive.
- Gain hands-on experience in breakout rooms.
- Have in-depth discussions and dedicated question time.
- Receive personalised teaching and feedback.
- Gain insights from real-world client experiences and case studies.
- Build professional connections with a vibrant and diverse international community.
- Safe, live presentations with accessibility features.
- Unlimited access to our educational platform.
- Replay the session recordings as many times as you like.
- Complete a fun and actionable module assignment.
- Understand and apply somatic counselling skills in Yoga Therapy.
- Develop self-awareness and build a relationship of trust with clients.
- Create a safe and accepting environment for change.
- Demonstrate effective communication through listening, silence, language, and metaphor.
- Understand the development of and difference between Psychotherapy and Somatic Counselling, and recognise the boundaries of Yoga Therapy.
- Recognise issues of transference and deliver Body Positivity-Centred practices.
- Demonstrate appropriate timing in a Yoga Therapy session, integrating applied somatic counselling skills within the scope of practice.
- Monday 14th – Friday 18th October 2024
9.30 hrs – 17.00 hrs (CET)
- Monday 14th – Friday 18th April 2025
9.30 hrs – 17.00 hrs (CET)
*Module hours are approximate and subject to small adjustments depending on the flow and pace of each class.
Who is this course for?
- Yoga Therapy trainees
- Yoga teachers who want to learn more about Yoga Therapy
- Healthcare professionals such as medical doctors, physiotherapists, coaches and other therapeutic professionals who are seeking a multidisciplinary approach
*European companies registered outside the Netherlands are exempt from VAT charges. Please contact us to find out more.
Excl. VAT €650*
Incl. 21% VAT €786,50*
Frequently Asked Questions
To join this module, you must meet the following requirements:
- 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training certification from Yoga Alliance or equivalent
- One year of Yoga teaching experience
- One year of personal Yoga practice
- Fluent in English
- Minimum 18 years old
To join the module, simply complete our Contact Form and we will contact you to arrange your place in the module.
No, this module does not offer continuing education credits because the module forms an integral part of our Yoga Therapy Diploma.
However, you can still earn continuing education credits by completing our other courses that are approved by Yoga Alliance.
The price of the module includes access to all live module lectures, unlimited access to the educational platform, including written materials, presentations, and assignments. You’ll also have the ability to contact the team and faculty by email for support.
The price of the module doesn’t include books from the reading list, yoga mats or props, or any other materials or equipment that may be required for the module.
We offer a variety of discounts and promotions on our Yoga Therapy training courses throughout the year. To see the current discounts and promotions, please visit our promotions page.
Somatic counselling and psychotherapy are both forms of therapy that focus on the body and mind. However, there are some key differences between the two approaches. Somatic counselling is a more bottom-up approach, which means that it focuses on helping the client to become more aware of their physical sensations. Psychotherapy is a more top-down approach, which means that it focuses on helping the client to understand their thoughts and emotions.
No, you can’t work as a counsellor after completing this module alone. This module is designed to teach you the skills of applied somatic counselling, which can be used in conjunction with Yoga Therapy. However, you’ll still need to complete further training in counselling or psychotherapy in order to be qualified to work as a counsellor.
Still have questions? Reach out to us. We’re always happy to help!